We are looking to further enhance our team by adding a
Mission and Control Applications Engineer
You will be based initially for 2 years at our client’s headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany. Extension of a further 2 years may be possible. In this large European Agency you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities.
The Consultant shall support software development and maintenance of M&C components and applications designed with an objected-oriented approach and client server architecture.
The development cycle includes the typical phases (requirements, design, development, testing) with formal procedures related to configuration control, verification (against the software requirements) and roll-out into operations.
Development ranges in a mixed Windows and Unix environment, from fixing problems and engineering changes, technical support to the continuous operation of the system, including analysis, investigation and resolution with creation of appropriate documentation.
Main duties include:
Maintenance and Evolution activities
- Software development using C++ and Java engineered in Windows and Unix environments, interacting with Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) products;
- Preventive maintenance: Support to the 24/7 smooth running of facility software applications and their operating systems and in the case of anomalies affecting operations, identifying and applying appropriate first line corrective actions ensuring that in the case of problems with applications, operating systems or COTS, that the operational configuration can be restored;
- Corrective maintenance: Investigation into relevant anomalies and solutions, their documentation and classification, with suitable follow up of the delivery of software updates;
- Evolutive maintenance: Analysis of user-driven requirements, generation of software requirements, design, implementation and verification/testing activities;
- Verification/testing activities: Generation of verification/test procedures and delivery documentation, participation in verification and regression testing activities at unit and system level, participation in factory acceptance testing campaigns and execution of on-site verification testing at integration level;
- System upgrades: Analysis, planning and management of application, operating system and COTS upgrades and reconfigurations, taking into account any compatibility issues;
- Definition and management of technical documentation and procedures in support of these activities.
- Applications support: Software and technical support to the end-users of the application software by request;
- Attendance in meetings: Participation in technical, progress and team meetings, submission of reports as required;
- On call service: On occasions, provision of standby/call out support to operations and support to critical operations out of normal hours;
- Additional support: Provision of support to other areas and programs as required, for example, supporting the simulations infrastructure.
- Documentation: generation and updates of technical documents;
- Meeting participation: participation to technical, progress and team meetings as needed and requested;
- Routine reporting: preparation and production of routine reports as necessary;
- Contractor management at technical level: acting as point of contact with the contractor for technical discussions, review of technical documentation from the contractor, organizing periodical technical meetings with the contractor.
Software engineering framework support
- Analysis activities focused on a common software engineering framework for the GSI Mission Control Applications and Tools Team;
- Development of tools implementing this software engineering framework.
In addition to having a University degree in a relevant engineering discipline, the consultant shall demonstrate significant knowledge and experience in the area of software development.
The consultant shall have skills and experience in software development with the following mandatory areas:
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in the definition, development and maintenance of Mission Control Functions software applications for GEO space missions, in particular, experience in the whole life cycle of development of typical applications like telemetry and telecommand chains, automation (schedule and procedure execution), operations preparation, analysis, etc.;
- Good knowledge and understanding – with working experience evidence - of space related standards (ECSS and CCSDS) related to space-to-ground interfaces.
System Development & Maintenance Skills
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in software development and maintenance following formal software life cycle processes resulting in multiple customer deliveries. This includes production of requirements, design engineering artefacts and implementation reflecting corrective and evolution software maintenance activities as well as new applications definition;
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in ground segment AIV related activities (test procedure generation, non-regression testing, requirements verification and validation).
Software Engineering skills
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) in designing and developing software components and applications using Object Oriented (OO) approach (including design patterns);
- Extensive experience (minimum 5 years) designing, developing and programming software applications using C++ and Java under both Windows and Linux platforms;
- Experience with formal software development environments like Eclipse IDE and Microsoft Visual Studio.
Documentation and Configuration Management Skills
- Very good knowledge of MS Windows Office Suite applications and experience with documentation management systems;
- Experience in using configuration Management and anomaly reporting and tracking tools.
It would be a distinct advantage for the Consultant to have experience with some of the following optional skills:
- Knowledge with ESA mission control products, such as MICONYS suite (e.g. SCOS-2000, NIS, etc...);
- Spacecraft simulation environments and systems,
System Maintenance Skills
- Software support to users and in general to flight control teams;
- Work experience in a 24/7 operational environment characterised by high availability requirements. This includes experience with on-call support to operational systems.
Software Technologies skills
- Experience developing interacting middleware components and application using TCPIP and CORBA;
- Experience in the development of software components using Open Source solutions like Eclipse and Apache products (e.g. Karaf, ActiveMQ);
- Experience developing software applications using ODBC/JDBC bridges and programmatic interfaces to RDBMS engines;
- Eclipse Plug-in development (OSGi Bundles)
Due to the variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported, the Consultant shall be able to quickly adapt to changes in assignments, manage his tasks in an efficient way demonstrating high degree of independence and autonomy, excellent analytical skills, effectiveness within a small team, good presentation and communication skills.
The Consultant shall be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, encouraging a friendly and cooperative working environment, demonstrating capabilities in applying principles, accept criticism and being open to discuss and share solutions with others.
Moreover he/she is expected to actively participate, as required, in technical meetings and/or periodic reviews and activity assessments.
The official languages are English and French. The working language for the position is English and therefore consultants must be able to work effectively in this language and have acceptable knowledge of the other.
LOCATION: Darmstadt, Germany
CLOSING DATE: 25th January 2018
MOLTEK has been serving the space and aerospace industries since 1995, providing international consultancy services for a wide variety of clients from private and public corporations to national and international authorities and agencies.