We are looking to further enhance our team by adding a
Copernicus Climate Expert (2 positions)
You will be based initially for 2 years at our client’s headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany. Extension of a further 2 years may be possible. In this large European Agency you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities.
For Management and Scientific duties we require full time effort (40 hours per week).
For Technical duties we require part time effort (20 hours per week).
Management and Scientific:
Relating to the management of the contributions of data set providers to the ECV Inventory and their assessment by the gap analysis teams. The tasks to be carried out by key persons will typically include:
- Quality control and achievement of scientific and technical correctness and consistency of the updates to the ECV Inventory interacting with data providers worldwide. This includes the development of a regular update mechanism for the inventory content incorporating inputs from the data providers;
- Assessment of the ECV Inventory readiness for the gap analysis process ;
- Coordination of and participation in inventory and gap analysis activities of the Working Group Climate ensuring full awareness within the gap analysis team of the required documentation outputs from the gap analysis and schedules;
- Analysis of results of the gap analysis for specific priority areas considering ECV interrelationships;
- Compilation of the gap analysis results;
- Provision of support to the generation of a coordinated action plan to address gaps, improvement opportunities, etc.;
- Cross-fertilisation / promotion of gap analysis best practices amongst the expert teams supporting the gap analysis;
- Improvements of the Working Group Climate web page and input to technical improvements of the ECV Inventory;
- Compilation of technical notes and presentations to the CEOS/CGMS WG Climate;
- Attendance at meetings of the Joint CEOS/CGMS Working Group Climate including responsibility for minutes of such meetings.
Relating to the technical maintenance and evolution of the ECV Inventory and the Working Group Climate Website. The tasks to be carried out by key persons will typically include:
- Maintenance of the ECV Inventory website
- Maintenance of the Working Group Climate Website (TBD)
- Implementation of technical improvements of the ECV Inventory and its integration with the Working Group Climate Website. Technical improvements can, inter alia, cover additional / improved functionalities for the gap analysis, additional / improved reporting capabilities, additional / improved image generating capabilities
- Enhancing the security of the ECV Inventory
Management and Scientific:
Knowledge and experience with the following is considered essential:
- Good understanding of satellite remote sensing related to climate including the GCOS framework of Essential Climate Variables;
- Familiarity with the activities of the CEOS/CGMS Working Group Climate and its ECV Inventory;
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability to analyse complex processes;
- Demonstrable experience in active participation in/coordination of international projects;
- Experience in consolidating, compiling and editing complex technical reports.
Knowledge and experience with the following is considered essential
- Experience in designing, developing, implementing, and maintaining databases using MySQL;
The key person shall have strong analytical and problem solving skills, supported by excellent written and oral communication. This shall be coupled with good interpersonal and strong coordination skills, together with a collaborative approach, and a proven ability to apply these to the interactions within a team and between teams in an international environment.
The key person shall be able to work calmly and correctly under stress and must be able to work without supervision.
The official languages are English and French. The working language for the service is English and therefore the key persons must be able to work effectively in this language.
LOCATION: Darmstadt, Germany
CLOSING DATE: 2nd August 2018
MOLTEK has been serving the space and aerospace industries since 1995, providing international consultancy services for a wide variety of clients from private and public corporations to national and international authorities and agencies.