We are looking to further enhance our team by adding a
Multi-Mission Dissemination Operations Engineer (3 positions)
You will be based initially for 2 years at our client’s headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany. Extension of a further 2 years may be possible. In this large European Agency you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities.
The engineer shall cover the following:
The Engineer shall perform tasks related to dissemination operations and engineering:
- For Client missions: for routine Meteosat, Metop, Jason-2 and 3rd-party data services operations, as well as for the commissioning phase for Metop-C leading to the routine operations phase for the triple Metop satellite system;
- For the MTG and EPS-SG missions: build up for operations and then leading to commissioning and then routine operations;
- For Copernicus missions: for routine Sentinel-3A, Jason-3 and 3rd-party data services operations, as well as for the commissioning phase for Sentinel-3B leading to the routine operations phase for the dual satellite system;
- For the Copernicus Sentinel-6/Jason-CS mission: build up for operations and then leading to commissioning and then routine operations of S6.
The Engineer shall perform dissemination and encryption operations, including:
- Scheduling and coordination of daily operations of the dissemination systems;
- Monitoring the dissemination and encryption functions within the Client’s Ground Segments, including performance monitoring and in the case of anomalies, the identification and application of first-line corrective actions;
- Perform anomaly investigations;
- Provision of support, as required, to critical and/or special operations;
- Contribute to the design, development, documentation and maintenance of specific tool/scripts identified from operational needs;
The Engineer shall provide support to the daily upload of EUMETCast configuration changes using the EUMETCast Administration Tool (EAT) and be able to perform this task if needed;
The Engineer shall contribute to raising, processing and coordinating anomalies, their documentation, investigation, classification and resolution/mitigation, including participation in relevant Anomaly Review Boards;
The Engineer shall contribute to coordination and implementation of dissemination/encryption related ground segment modifications, including their documentation, approval, implementation, testing and training, including participation in Change Review Boards, as well as TRR, TRB, ORR as needed;
The Engineer shall contribute to coordination and implementation of new data flows;
The Engineer shall contribute to the operations boards, technical meetings, formal reviews, and scheduling and planning coordination meetings;
The Engineer shall participate in dissemination operations team meetings and associated activities and reviews where required;
The Engineer shall provide on-call support, on an “as needed” basis, for the mission specific and multi-mission dissemination functions and other closely related functions. The scope of on-call support is to restore and confirm nominal service according to Client processes. This will be coordinated with the service manager through the normal on-call process;
The Engineer shall deliver training, through written materials, practical demonstrations and presentations to other parties involved in Operations (including controllers, analysts and engineers);
The Engineer shall contribute to any other tasks needed to support or restore operations as specified by the Dissemination System Manager leader;
The Engineer shall follow Client processes and working practices. This implies participation in daily operations coordination meetings and daily technical reporting.
Operational Data Flow Monitoring and Reporting
The Engineer shall contribute to the design, development, documentation and maintenance of tools that provide dissemination statistics reports, as requested;
The Engineer shall contribute to the generation of KPIs and joint Client-to-partner service level statistics, as needed, including their computation;
The Engineer shall contribute to reporting against KPIs and of anomalies to the Central Operations Morning Meeting;
The Engineer shall contribute to the monitoring and reporting of the overall end-to-end mission performance of the Client, Copernicus and third-party missions including gathering related statistics on a daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis;
The Engineer shall contribute to the generation of reports, as necessary.
The Engineer shall contribute to the generation, maintenance and update of dissemination operations related design, user documentation, procedures or operations guides, for example as a result of a system update or a validation activity, in accordance with the established Client Operations Department configuration management and quality assurance practices.
The Engineer shall provide expertise to the update of other inter-organisation documentation, including but not limited to Joint Operations Rules and Procedures (JORP) or Operational Interface Control Documents (OICDs).
Interface with other teams and partners
The Engineer shall liaise and coordinate as required the dissemination aspect with the ground segment facility operations teams, the system operations teams, the system operations analysts, the mission analysts, and the dissemination analysts to ensure the continuity and optimisation of ground segment and mission operations (through procedure and operations guide updates, configuration changes, database or user interface changes etc.);
The Engineer shall liaise and coordinate as required the dissemination aspects with the operational data processing teams to ensure the continuity and optimisation of data processing operations (through procedure and operations guide updates, configuration changes, database or user interface changes etc.);
The Engineer shall liaise and coordinate the dissemination aspects for generating, reviewing and maintaining any Special Operations Instructions (SOIs) in coordination with the other operational teams;
The Engineer shall liaise and coordinate as required with external operational partners and service providers to ensure optimised performance, including participating in the definition and implementation of any changes and joint anomaly resolution;
The Engineer shall liaise and coordinate as necessary with other dissemination related service providers.
Evolutions of the Dissemination Systems:
The Engineer shall acquire and maintain an operational view of the dissemination and encryption functions of the ground segment, as well as a system-wide understanding of its interfaces with multi-mission elements (MMEs) and external interfaces;
The Engineer shall liaise and coordinate as required with the maintenance teams in support of engineering changes to the dissemination elements of the ground segment;
The Engineer shall liaise as required with the security teams in support of security related changes;
The Engineer shall participate in the operational validation of dissemination related system upgrades and evolutions, both standalone and in the context of an overall ground segment;
The Engineer shall contribute to the integration and validation of components deliveries, as well as implementation of new products, including configuration control activities.
Operations Build up
The Engineer shall support the operations build-up of future missions, as needed;
The Engineer shall contribute to validation campaigns, including operations validation tests, participating in the co-ordination, planning and execution of these campaigns as needed, including TRRs/TRBs/FATs/ORR, etc for ground segment components and operations;
The Engineer shall participate to commissioning reviews and commissioning operations to ensure smooth handover from the commissioning phase to nominal operations.
Knowledge and experience with the following is considered essential.
Each key person shall:
- have a university degree (or equivalent) in a discipline relevant to the job profile.
- have at least 3 years’ demonstrated experience in operations or software maintenance of real-time file-based data dissemination systems;
- be familiar with DVB satellite communications and ground segment operations;
- have demonstrated experience in major Linux distributions and Windows (Windows 7, 8, 10) as user;
- have computer analysis skills, including analysis of events and logs, and be familiar with Excel;
- have presentation skills and be familiar with Powerpoint;
- be familiar with configuration control;
- be able to communicate effectively in English (verbally and written);
- be able to conduct all activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, shall be able to work under pressure and with a minimum of supervision.
Knowledge and experience with the following are considered essential for key persons providing on-call support, he/she shall have at least 3 years’ demonstrated experience in:
- providing near real-time data services in a high-availability environment (24/7);
- monitoring of near real time data flows in large computer networks;
- first and second level support in data services;
- basic system administrator skills, i.e. configuration, installation and scripting for Linux and Windows;
- demonstrated experience in interaction with external partners;
- demonstrated experience in coordinating of system changes or interfaces with external organisations;
Knowledge and experience with the following is considered essential:
- Encryption technologies, USB smart cards, TripleDES;
Knowledge and experience with the following are considered essential for key persons providing end-user support, he/she shall have demonstrated experience in:
- interaction with end-users via email, phone or other online tools;
- supporting end users in application software upgrades and application software configuration changes;
- preparing user guides, FAQs, and other documentation in user friendly style;
- excellent document writing skills;
Knowledge and experience with the following is not mandatory, but considered beneficial; for all key persons it is desirable to have experience with or knowledge of some of the following:
- DVB based receive-only earth stations for satellite communications;
- DVB-S2 technology;
- IP multicast data distribution systems, such as "Tellicast" provided by Newtec;
- Major network protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, etc.)
- Network application protocols (ftp, sftp, ssh, http(s), etc)
- Dissemination of meteorological and/or environmental products;
- XML language and tools;
- Formalised hardware/software/system testing;
- Subversion, CVS, eclipse
LOCATION: Darmstadt, Germany
CLOSING DATE: 11th February 2019
MOLTEK has been serving the space and aerospace industries since 1995, providing international consultancy services for a wide variety of clients from private and public corporations to national and international authorities and agencies.