You will be based on our client’s site at the European Space Agency’s ESTEC location in Noordwijk, The Netherlands. In this large European agency, you will find an excellent and modern working environment with challenging tasks and responsibilities with the opportunity to gain exposure to various projects and missions at the heart of European space research and development.
Location: Noordwijk/The Netherlands
Deadline to apply: 3rd May 2021
How to apply: email@example.com
- Masters or PhD in electronics, networks, telecommunications or a related field.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards). This includes the ability to design, review and simulate analogue and digital electronics for data handling units (use of FPGA/processors/micro-controllers, single-point-failure-free circuitry, failure containment techniques and use of COTS with radiation mitigation techniques).
Knowledge in the following fields will be considered as asset:
- Design and Use of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE);
- Design, validation and verification of AI/ML Processing Algorithm inferred on HW/SW platform(s);
- Design of electronic boards for radiation testing of analogue and digital circuitry based on COTS.
Tasks & Responsibilities
The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions with an emphasis on:
- Platform and payload data handling architectures and their building blocks (equipment/units, modules and key components);
- Units such as on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, instrument control units*;
- Digital and analogue signal processing electronics for payload/platform control functions;
- Front-end acquisition and processing chain electronics*;
- On-board data transfer interfaces, buses and associated protocols (high and low speed);
- Platform data handling functions related to security, data authentication, encryption, compression, machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- Use of microelectronics devices.
*except for RF payloads.
You will report to the Head of Section and, within the technical fields described above, the main tasks and responsibilities will include:
- Providing technical support to ESA projects, programmes and general studies in the field of platform and payload data handling systems throughout all project phases;
- Participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals;
- Identifying critical development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- Contributing to the definition of technology development requirements and work plans for the Agency’s technology programmes;
- Defining, initiating and supporting R&D activities covering both long- and short-term needs;
- Fostering new application areas for multidisciplinary activities, with an emphasis on innovative concepts, cutting-edge technologies and system architectures;
- Laboratory activities, as required;
- Monitoring applicable scientific and technological trends and maintaining state-of-the-art expertise;
- Contributing to the dissemination of the results of the activities performed and the transfer of knowledge across the Agency.